FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Orange Cranberry Cake

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Orange Cranberry Cake

Cut this cranberry studded coffee cake into thick wedges and serve it for a weekend brunch or as a weeknight dessert with whipped cream. Yum!
Orange Cranberry Cake


I needed a dessert for my husband to take into work. I had some fresh cranberries so I wanted to make this. As I began to make the cake, I realized I didn't have all the ingredients I needed. I don't know if you are like me, but once I get started, I don't want to have to go to the store. 

I didn't have enough flour so I used wheat flour to make up the difference. It called for 3/4 cup of butter and I had only 1/2 cup so I added some sour cream. It also called for 1 cup of milk and I had only 1/2 cup so I added applesauce. By this point, I am not sure how or if this cake is going to turn out. 

I press on. If the cake turns out bad, I will just throw it out.
Orange-Cranberry Cake
Now I usually don't cut the cakes before sending them in, but when I told my husband all the substitutions I made, we thought it best to taste test it. I took a small slice  out of the cake. It turned out really good and moist. Boy was I surprised. Sometimes you just never know! Forgot to take a picture of the slice - we were too anxious to taste it.

My only issued was that most of the cranberries were at the top. I usually add flour to berries so they don't sink.  I added the sugar to the berries but forgot the flour.  Therefore, they rose to the top, which was funny, usually they sink.


I liked the taste of fresh berries but you could easily add dried cranberries. Fresh blueberries would be great too. 

One of these days, I just might make the cake the right way.



 Recipe                                                                      Print


Orange-Cranberry Cake
orangecranberrycake.JPG
(From a Better Homes and Gardens All-Time Favorites Cookbook recipe)


Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cups rolled oats

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

3 eggs

1 cup milk

2 cups fresh cranberries, chopped

2 tablespoons sugar (used on fresh cranberries)

2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel

1 recipe Orange Glaze

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.  Set aside.
  2. In a small bowl stir together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  3. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with mixer for about 30 seconds on medium speed.  Add 1 cup of sugar, mixing well.  Add eggs and beat until combined.  Alternate adding the flour and milk, beating at low speed until combined.
  4. Toss cranberries with 2 tablespoons sugar (if using fresh).   Fold into batter with orange peel.  Spread in prepared cake pan and bake for 50-60 minutes.  Test with wooden pick inserted near the center.  It should come out clean.  Cool in pan 10 minutes.  Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
  5. Spoon Orange Glaze over cooled cake.  Let stand until cake glaze is set.  Makes 12 servings.



Orange Glaze:  In a small bowl combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel and add 2 or 3 teaspoons fresh orange juice for drizzling consistency.

Enjoy!



The post Orange Cranberry Cake first appeared on Eclectic Red Barn.

Linking to these posts:
Pieced PastimesThe-Creative-Collection-BannerInspire Me Mondaymunchmon-hostsTHE SCOOP #171-Hundreds of great ideas from the best of the web-stonegableblog.comProject Inspire{d} Link PartyRecipe Linky PartyTreasure Box Tuesday 72lou lou girls linky partyCreativity Unleashed link party!


No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...